Saturday, January 10, 2009

Meet Bandit - the Cedar Waxwing

Today I was out filling my bird feeders when I noticed something moving in the nandina bush. It was a cedar waxwing - one of my all time favorite birds! I was only about four feet away from him at the time. I decided to attempt to get back in the house, grab my camera, and return without scaring him away. WELL, not only did he not go away then, he stayed for at least the next 45 minutes and I had to leave before he did. For all I know, he's still out there gorging himself on nandina berries. I realized as I watched him gobble down five or six berries in a very short time that he had probably eaten so many that he couldn't make lift off. It was odd that he was alone. In the past I have only seen these birds in large flocks. If you spend that much time at my house you have to have a name, so here's Bandit.
Susan (Sharpsburg)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great shots of Bandit! That is odd that he was alone. I hope he didn't get lost!!