Friday, August 1, 2008

Hummingbird Nest

With all of our interest in hummingbirds, I am including a blog entry from a Newnan friend who was smart enough to get pictures of a hummingbird nest in April and then nice enough to let us use them. Thank you, SouthernJoy. (Remember to click on pictures to see larger images.) Here is her entry:


If I ever needed a zoom lens, it was today! My mother-in-law discovered a hummingbird nest in the fork of a dogwood branch. The nest is about 15 feet off of the ground, and extremely hard to spot. It appears that the nest is still under construction... lots of zooming back and forth with bits and pieces in the beak. I can't wait to keep watching, and see how this progresses.
I read up a little just to know what all was involved in this tiny nest. Smaller than a golfball, the nest is made using spider web silk! Imagine that! And, the outside is covered with small pieces of lichen. If what I read is correct, mama hummingbird will lay two tiny white eggs.
My grandmother, Sweet Pea, would've loved this. I can't help but think that she was there today, peeking over my shoulder as I climbed to the tip top of the ladder and took these pictures.

4 comments:

DrW said...

Fabulous pictures and a wonderful story - full of good information! Thank you for sharing!

Susan

wbcptc said...

What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it with us. These pictures are priceless.

Tammy

southernjoy said...

Thanks for posting it here for me!

DrW said...

You're welcome! We love it! Got more?

Susan