Saturday, August 9, 2008

Who Am I?



What kind of bird is this? It acts very tame. I can get about 4 feet away before it flies, even if I'm mowing the lawn. It spends most of the day on the ground below the feeders eating what has spilled. It CAN fly, but it waits til the last minute. I'm afraid the stupid cat two doors down is going to get it. I've never seen one act this way and can't say I've ever seen a bird that looks like this one. I watched it walk around the ground and both legs/feet seem to be okay. Got any ideas? Is it a baby??
Lynda (PTC)

4 comments:

DrW said...

OK Lynda - my vote is juvenile brown-headed cowbird. I'm making this guess from my trusty-dusty Birds of Georgia Field Guide and some google images that match up pretty well with your bird.

I really love cowbirds - they have a great story! I hope that's it. Tim, Tammy, what do you think?

Susan

wbcptc said...

I agree with you Susan. Although it also resembles the juvenile red-winged black bird.

Tim

DrW said...

I thought of red-winged blackbird too - but I couldn't see the white eyebrows in these pictures. Too bad there wasn't a mom feeding it so we would know for sure.

Susan

Mike said...

Lynda, I think it is a female house finch.

Mike